I’ve decided here would be a good place to talk about what’s left to do in getting to Starbound 1.0, as this post is going to be full of spoilers and I’d rather not post it on the Starbound front page for unsuspecting visitors. So SPOILERS AHEAD! I’d suggest ignoring this post entirely if you just want the best Starbound experience, but I know some people out there are very interested in development.
Of course everything here is subject to change, nothing is a promise or a contract. It’s purely what we’re working on right now.
So first I wanted to share a diagram of the games crafting progression. This isn’t entirely all inclusive and definitely doesn’t contain every item you can possibly craft. But it will give you a sense of the overall path through the game in terms of producing new tech and can be compared with the nightly builds to track progress to completion.
Click the image below to view the tech tree:
The next diagram displays the players progression through the universe, as well as the obstacles that block off parts of the universe in typical metroidvania fashion.
And here is a (summarised + non exhaustive) list of major tasks left to complete before 1.0
* balance armor and health stats so: if monster level = armor level > Take 7 monster bites to die if monster level = armor level +1 > Take 3 monster bites to die
* balance energy stats so: if gun level = armor level = monster level > be able to shoot long enough to kill 1.5 / 2 monsters (assuming no misses) if staff level = armor level > allow two staff shots before 0 energy
* recolour/switch art/switch stats of higher tier swords to match the split armor tiers
* Create garden biome to replace grasslands, add pine trees. Make it the starter planet
* Add ability to assign biome to instanced dungeons
* Add engine ability to search for starter system that matches requirements
* choose tier for each tech, drastically balance each tech, make them more like skills learned at certain intervals throughout the game
* implement roadblock status effects + back items that negate them, add protection effect to subsequent armors.
* Once all staves complete, balance staves so: if staff level = monster level > kill monster in 1 hit with slow charging staff
* Balance branching armors
* Add element to each main biome that encourages return for the entire game, i.e. bandages/cloth from forests.
* Get mission selection UI working
* Get mission reward system working
* improve Z leveling
* improve Drawables
* optimize particles
* add fossil system
* add pets
* add nebulae
* Complete missions: Moon base mission Avian mission Apex Mission Floran Mission Glitch Mission Hylotl Mission Human Mission Tentacle mission
* Balance manipulators and look at where the upgrade should come / should we remove other mining tools
* Remove weapons that can attack with two different swoosh effects (if not done already)
* Implement generated quest system
* create Alien biome
* create City biome
* Implement block protection system
* Add unbreakable blocks as a planet property
* Add player built space station system
* Add player statues
* Add player weapons/hats * Add player NPC names * Add Credits
* Finish Novakid armors, weaponry and furniture * Finish/implement contest monsters and hats
We’re going to be releasing a stable update once the tech tree can be progressed through from start to finish, after that we’re going to be focusing on finishing up this todo list for 1.0. Which we are aiming for this year, but could go into next. It takes as long as it takes to get it all done, but we’re working as fast as we can.
Post 1.0 we have a whole bunch of content and updates planned, but I’ll go into those at a later date.
Hopefully this gives some insight into where we are and what we’re working with. And if you want to experience this content on a piece by piece basis, opt into our nightly builds but expect an unstable/save breaking experience.