Cardboard Robot Games
Based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Pocket Rumble is a streamlined, beginner-friendly 2D fighting game inspired by SNK's classic fighters for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. It retains all the gameplay elements that make traditional Street Fighter-style fighters great, but reduces the level of execution and memorization necessary to the bare minimum. That way experienced players can learn the game fast and be able to focus on deeper elements of strategy and mindgames, new players can learn the ins and outs of fighting games without being overwhelmed, and everyone can get their skills to a competitive level without too much grinding alone in training mode.
Pocket Rumble has been in development since 2013. The game had a successful Kickstarter in December 2014 and launched on Steam Early Access in February 2016.
- Simple, 2-button controls and universal, easy special move inputs with no complex joystick motions
- Short combos with easy timing and a straightforward cancel system
- On-screen frame data bar and visual indicators for properties like invulnerability help players understand fighting game mechanics and how individual moves work
- Simple, unambiguous health and damage system: All characters have 12 HP and all hits do 1 damage
- Diverse cast of characters each with their own unique meter and mechanics
- Quickly swap characters after a lost round to counterpick, just like between matches in a tournament, without slowing down the pace of the match
- Near-flawless online multiplayer with GGPO netcode
- Full Steam Workshop mod support including the ability to play mods online with friends
- Arcade Mode: Face off against the rest of the game's cast, meet special parameters and complete challenges to earn achievements and unlocks
- Versus Mode: Play local matches with friends or the CPU, and get competitive with hidden cursors for double-blind character select at the touch of a button
- Career Mode: Take part in fictional fighting game tournaments around the globe, playing against AIs based on some of Pocket Rumble's top players from the beta, and eventually facing off against AIs from some familiar faces in the FGC
- Lessons Mode: Robust tutorials that teach you the very basics of how fighting games work
- Training Mode: A fully-featured training mode with a variety of hotkeys and options including viewable hitboxes, save states, dummy recording and more
- Ranked Mode: Get matched up with players of your skill level online, earn points and rank up with Elo ratings, leaderboards including character-specific rankings, and a rematch button to challenge someone to an unranked set when you need that runback
- Ghosts: Ghost AI records in-depth statistics from your ranked matches and creates an AI other players can download that emulates your playstyle
Pocket Rumble Early Access Trailer YouTube
Pocket Rumble Alpha 0.2.1 Gameplay YouTube
Logo & Icon
Pocket Rumble on Steam Early Access
Available now from store.steampowered.com.
Pocket Rumble Kickstarter Page (2014)
Our Kickstarter campaign can be seen at kickstarter.com.
About Cardboard Robot Games
We are a small Pittsburgh-based indie game development studio founded in 2011. Our goal is to make polished and highly-modifiable games that we can support years after launch!
More information on Cardboard Robot Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Pocket Rumble Credits
Programmer & Game Designer, Cardboard Robot Games