Based in London, UK
22 July, 2016
PC / Mac / Linux
Starbound is an extraterrestrial sandbox adventure game! You’ve fled your home, only to find yourself lost in space with a damaged ship. Your only option is to beam down to the planet below and gather the resources you need to repair your ship and set off to explore the vast, infinite universe…
Starbound development began in mid-2011. In April 2013, we hosted a pre-order campaign for Starbound through our own website using Humble widgets. We received an overwhelming amount of support from our community, raising over $1,000,000 towards the game's development in less than a month! In December 2013, Starbound entered Early Access on Steam. Within three months, we had sold over one million copies. As of February 2016, we've sold over two million copies! Since its Early Access launch, Starbound has sold at a steady pace and has popped up on the Steam Top Sellers list as well as the top ten most played games on the platform, with concurrent players peaking at 88,000 during launch and 40,000 after large content updates.
- Choose from one of 7 playable races and customize your character
- Save the universe in a story campaign featuring unique characters, bosses, dungeons and quests!
- You're the captain of your very own starship! Decorate it, expand it and use it to explore a procedurally generated universe
- Colonize uncharted planets and collect gifts from your tenants - if they like you, they may even ask to join your ship crew!
- Three game modes - Casual (no need to eat), Survival (eat to survive/drop items on death) and Hardcore (permadeath)
- Craft thousands of objects - building materials, armor, weapons, furniture and more
- Capture unique monsters to fight alongside you
- All content is available in online drop-in/drop-out co-op
- Built from the ground up to be easily moddable. You have the tools to make the universe your own - add new races, biomes, dungeons, and quests
Combat Update Trailer YouTube
Winter Update Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Indie of the Year" IndieDB, 27 December, 2013
- "Starbound is one of the most impressive never-ending games I've ever played."
- Philip Kollar, Polygon
- "Starbound's delivering on its core promises even in its early access incarnation."
- Christian Donlan, Eurogamer
- "This might be a bare-bones version of the game to come, but boy, check out those bones. The game's minutiae will be mapped out across various wikis for years to come, and many mechanics will be added and refined, but even now, Starbound is an enticing journey of discovery that reminds you just how exciting it can be to stare at a sky full of stars."
- Martin Gaston, Gamespot
Starbound Dev Blog
Follow our development progress at playstarbound.com.
Information about our pre-order tiers is available here: starbounder.org.
Available from curtisschweitzer.bandcamp.com.
Hello! We're Chucklefish - an independent games studio based in London, UK. We develop and publish our own games and provide support to other developers!
More information on Chucklefish, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Founder & Director
Community & Marketing Manager
Abi Cooke Hunt